If you come across additional articles or evidence of voter suppression in any state, send it to me and I’ll add it to the list. Hoping to aggregate as many examples as possible here.
You can also keep track on OurVoteLive.org. Thanks commenter, Dena, for the tip!
*** FLORIDA ***
*** LOUISIANA ***
From katc.com, voter registration “mishap” at a local college.
*** MASSACHUSETTS ***
From Metro West Daily News, Robocall misleads voters
*** MISSISSIPPI ***
- These were sent by my super-cool pal, Tom Head, who writes about Civil Liberties, among other things. Thanks, Tom!
The most serious problems so far seem to be…
1. Up to 10,000 registration forms that mysteriously went “missing” in (white, conservative) Circuit Clerk Barbara Dunn’s office after being submitted by the NAACP. READ IT.
2. An effort by (white, conservative) Governor Phil Bryant and (white, conservative) Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to suppress black turnout in low-income rural areas by spreading the (false) meme that voter ID is required. READ IT HERE or HERE.
- From Raw Story, Thousands of voter registration forms, not processed.
*** OHIO ***
- From Democracy Now! In Ohio, African-American Turnout Threatened by Reduced Early Voting and Faulty Ballots
- From the Atlantic. Also references Florida: No One in America Should Have to Wait 7 Hours to Vote
*** PENNSYLVANIA ***
- Watch the video of a digital voting machine refuse to accept an Obama vote. Cnet reports that this issue is now resolved.
- From Global Post, Poll workers tell voters ID required, but it’s not so.
*** VIRGINIA ***
- From The Nation, Long Lines and Republican Poll Watchers May Deter Voters in VA